a log of my attempt to revive a motorcycle - for you to read & me to remember...
Archive
Jan 28, 2009
Post #2 - Commence...Pan Dissassembly
Paint the Setting:
I live in Minneapolis.
My parents live in Canby, MN, approximately 3hr's west of Minneapolis. The Pan has always been at my parents place.
In Minneapolis - I had a basic set of tools.
My dad hosts a rare arsenal of tools only time can accumulate.
At the time - I drove a Mini Cooper & lived in an apartment (no room for a motorcycle).
___________
While in Canby one weekend (almost immediately after receiving approval for working on the Pan) I figured to take advantage of my dad's tool set & shop... I took the bike completely apart. I tend to have a problem with not trusting something I haven't worked on or completely understand. If I could get to the microscopic level on something - I probably tried. I think I was able to take everything apart in a weekend - & kept things generally organized in 2 boxes & a couple of coffee cans for bolts.
___________
The booter:
Even though I kick-ass at taking things apart - I'm not so good at putting them back together or finishing the project (my dad can vouch for everything from my 71 Chevelle I left half-restored to the 1991 Mitsu 3000GT VR4 I totally gutted...). It was probably the moment I left with some Pan stuff in a box that my dad shed a tear or regretted giving me the authority to revive the Pan. He knew I didn't have the facilities, time, money, tools or attention to properly rebuild this bike. In addition to the general life of a Cummins Service Engineer - somewhere in there I married Vicki - my awesome wife who lets me venture on these damn projects that will likely steal more of "our" time than help (if you're reading this - seriously - it's for my sanity) - bought a house, got a dog, picked up the need to barrel through the Forrest on a fat bicycle & dropped the Mini for a new truck. Come to think of it - I really have no idea why my dad ever let me do this project...
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment
Be nice...